skip to main | skip to sidebar

The Adventure Travel

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Home » Fruit picking , Lorikeet , Tatura » Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen

By Kathleen
It's a Musk Lorikeet and it loves peaches and this photo is brought to you by Wikipedia. Thanks wiki!
  

Another week in the fruit pickers world has gone by quickly. We’re still waiting for the harvest to start in earnest so we’ve been passing time continuing to pick tomatoes and on a couple of days, peaches.

The orchard we’ve been picking for supplies caning peaches for Coco-Cola ( among other fruits). I find it strange to be on this side of the agro-industrial fence given my pro-locavore/organic stances in my own food choices.

I can’t help but think  back to the giant cans of peaches that we had in the campus kitchen. Strange to think how seemingly unrelated things in life tie together. I’ve now worked in the food industry from picking to serving and I am continually amazed at how much food is being wasted.

Blueberries, tomatoes, plums and peaches it makes no matter for every fruit I pick five go on the ground as trash fruit. About half of that is perfectly edible but not esthetically up to par. What’s wrong with us? Isn’t there some seconds market out there? Having come direct from India this waste seems all the more appalling. We don’t realize what a privilege it is to eat well.

Nevertheless, orchard work is interesting and not half as labor intensive as tomatoes. The peaches have a few drawbacks one of them being the itchiness that their fuzz imparts and the other being that they are particularly appealing to birds.

Peaches are a bit harder to pick in some ways as it can be difficult to tell when they are ripe. Half the time you’ll see a group of them on a treetop and think “ oh look bunches of ripe ones”. Then you’ll get your ladder haul it over set it up and climb it with your giant fruit back, only to have it turn out  “nope not at all ripe” or “ way too small”. Peaches are devious.

This week brought another foray with Australian wild things. We stumbled upon a wounded musk lorikeet (we call them parakeets). Or I should say our local roommate spotted it hiding on a tree using its lovely emerald color as camouflage. We managed to grab it and discern that it was hurt before it escaped us.

For several hours we lost it until I stumbled ( literally poor thing) across it. We grabbed it again, put it (nicely) in a box and our roommate brought it to the local vet. Another cool thing about Australia… they have people who volunteer all over to rehabilitate wildlife and they take it every seriously.

So hopefully our lorikeet friend will fly free soon instead of becoming cat food.In the meantime I’m hoping it’s mates will take it’s hospital care as trade for not eating the fruit I want to pick.

Labels: Fruit picking, Lorikeet, Tatura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

  • preaching to myself
    One of my pet peeves about myself is that I tend to get preachy. It is, as you would guess, a hazard of my trade- since I am in fact a prea...
  • what meekness isn't
    He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your ...
  • Piper on How God Used MLK to Change Us
    I remember the first time I heard Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.   I was in my first year at seminary in Fort W...
  • The Breath of God
    Last Sunday in both of our worship services archaeologist Scott Carroll gave us a glimpse of some of  the most significant artifacts found w...
  • stetzer
    The first time I met Ed Stetzer was at a conference in Seattle Washington where he was speaking at Mars Hill Community Church. I had heard...
  • pure joy
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops persever...
  • Reaching the Inner Ring
    This week we are in Denver Colorado with our youth group on a ministries partnership with Calvary Baptist Church.  I am so impressed with th...
  • Live Sent
    The missional church is a church that understands the Great Commission is not just for those who are called to cross-cultural ministry in a...
  • passion week: day three
    See, my servant will prosper; he will be highly exalted. Many were amazed when they saw him – beaten and bloodied, so disfigured one would s...
  • The Learning Community
    This past Monday I spent the day interviewing various church members about the lessons God has taught them through the years on various subj...

Followers

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (20)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ▼  2012 (59)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (8)
    • ▼  January (5)
      • I Speak American
      • Peachy Keen
      • Day Trippin’ to Daylesford
      • To-MAY-to Ta-Ma-to
      • A Book A Month In 2012
  • ►  2011 (64)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (17)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (38)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2009 (26)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2008 (42)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2007 (88)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (27)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2006 (65)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2005 (6)
    • ►  December (6)

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
 
My Ping in TotalPing.com